|Version 3 (modified by email@example.com, 3 years ago) (diff)|
Procedures and policies for releases of QtWebKit
Releases of QtWebKit are cut from WebKit's trunk. Some time before the release a new branch is created and hosted in a Git repository. After the release it becomes a maintenance branch.
Release branch creation
- The release branch is hosted at http://gitorious.org/+qtwebkit-developers/webkit/qtwebkit
- It is created off the master branch at http://gitorious.org/webkit
- Extra patches can be included in this branch
- Source packages are created from this branch.
Getting changes into the release branch
After the release branch has been created there are two ways to integrate changes:
- The commit is landed in the trunk and then it is cherry-picked into the release branch.
- Time constraints prevent us from landing the patch and we have to include a change before landing it (exceptional patch).
Exceptional patches must satisfy the following criteria before they are included in the release:
- An entry with the attached patch is filed in bugs.webkit.org (using http://webkit.org/new-qtwebkit-bug ).
- The patch has a ChangeLog entry.
- Patches that affect the API need to have a unit test included.
- Patches that affect WebCore should have a layout test included, although this is not mandatory.
- At least one WebKit reviewer signs off on the patch and no other reviewer objects.
- The bug is linked from it's corresponding JIRA item at http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTWEBKIT
After the release we have to make a concentrated effort in reducing the number of exceptional patches, by reviewing the changes in the bugs that the tracker bug (32653) depends on.
Cherry-picking changes into the release branch
If you'd like to include a patch in the release branch, please consider only fixes that
- fix data corruption
- fix crashes
- fixes a previously broken build
- regression from the last minor release
- documentation changes
- crucial usability issue (after discussion the mailing list)
The separate Backporting Fixes page tracks the changes to include, both changes from the trunk as well as exceptional patches.